25 Nov Repair Or Replace: How To Spot The Signs
Some things simply cannot be avoided. And mother nature is one of them, especially at this time of year. The weather can play havoc with most things, and your roof is certainly one asset that can potentially take a knock, no matter how defensive you think it may be or how much you have spent on it.
Throughout the winter, we often experience strong blustery winds, heavy rain and thick snow – all three causes for concern for the performance of your roof, and all things that we simply cannot avoid – no matter how much money we spend. The last thing any business owner wants is to fall victim to business interruption due to uncontrollable weather conditions, right? But with Roofclad Systems, not only do you pay for our experienced team of Roofers with a wealth of knowledge to work with you and your business to create the best solution possible, but quality is never compromised. We can provide you with aftercare tips and maintenance plans to put in place to prevent any serious damage, and get the absolute most out of your Commercial Roof.
We understand that at this time of year, no business owner wants to be left with costly payments to be made to their roof. Which is why we are going to delve into the topic of: “Repair or Replace?” and give the untrained eye some helpful tips on exactly what signs you need to look out for and how Roofclad Systems can help.
Get To Know Your Roof –
In order to spot any differences or potential risks with your commercial roof, you need to get to know your roof from day one. You can do this two ways; If you have had your roof fitted under your own instruction, then you will have had conversations with your roofer at the time of fitting about what type of roof is best for your building, and you will have seen it from being brand new. This gives you a head start in knowing exactly how it should look, exactly how it should work, and it should be easier to spot any slight differences. However, if you have never touched your roof since your business moved into the building, then you may not be aware of the exact condition that it should be in.
If the latter is the position you are in, then we would always recommend that you get in touch with the company that fitted your roof, and ask questions to ensure that you are up to speed on what signs you should be looking out for – because at the end of the day, it’s not just yourself that you need to protect, you have a workforce, equipment and technology to cover in order for your business to run as smoothly as possible.
Potential Damage To Your Commercial Roof –
As we mentioned earlier, we cannot control the weather, and we cannot always prevent even the smallest bouts of damage occurring through strong winds, heavy rain and laying snow.
Some of the most common signs of damage to look out for with your commercial roof can be:
- Wind Drafts – One of the most common signs that make us doubt the performance of our commercial roof. If you begin to feel a cold draft more than you used to, then it’s time to investigate.
- Leaks – Imposing water leaks are never good, and this is the second most common flag for concern if you spot this within your commercial roof.
- Interior Water Stains – Sometimes, leaks are not always as apparent as you would think. And you begin to spot interior water stains on your walls, or flooring.
- Mould / Strong Odours – Your workplace having a funky smell that you can’t seem to shift no matter how much bleach you clean with is never a good thing. And strong, unwelcome odours can often lead to the growth of mould. This could be caused by leaking pipes, rising damp and roof damage.
- Nonfunctioning Guttering System – If your gutters are not disposing of excess rain as well as they should be, or they are getting clogged far too easily, this can have a knock on effect to the performance of your commercial roof.
- General Flashing Damage – If your flashing appears to be rusting, peeling or damaged, then it will not be able to protect your roof from water damage.
When To Consider Roof Repair –
A roof repair is probably the most practical solution to your general wear and tear, not to mention most cost friendly. Think of it like a vehicle MOT – your roof will undergo it’s Maintenance Checks by a qualified roofer (ideally those who fitted your roof) on a quarterly / bi-annual / annual basis, where a general sweep of maintenance will take place including the removal of rubbish, debris and leaves from cluttered gutters, inspection of rainwater outlets and replacement of leaf guards and then you may get advisory points that could do with being repaired to maintain the tip top condition of your roof.
When To Consider Roof Replacement –
If your roof is damaged beyond repair, or it will cost twice or three times as much to repair compared to replacing with an entire new roof, then sometimes the luxury of having a choice is taken away from you a replacement is the only solution. Which is why we cannot stress the importance of a Refurbishment Plan with Roofclad Systems enough, to avoid running into situations like these.
If you find that you keep experiencing the same trouble with your roof again and again, or a strong storm causes unavoidable damage in the long run to the performance of your roof and/or insulation, then a long-term solution which would be a replacement is needed, and it is not to be ignored or delayed.
But it’s not all negative – yes it may cost you more, but it gives you the opportunity to work with your roofer on what assets of your roof are your main focus, and to implement new technologies such as Rooflight Works, which your previous roof may not have had, that can not only add value to your business along with its brand new roof, but save you a pretty penny on your monthly electricity bills!
How Roofclad Systems Can Help Minimise Costs –
Here at Roofclad Systems, we focus on delivering the best customer service to our clients, along with the best quality roofs, materials and performance. Which is why we offer all of our clients our Roofclad Systems Maintenance Checks and Refurbishment Plan, as a source of aftercare to your roof, because the hard work does not stop at the fitting.
Our Maintenance Checks and Refurbishment Plan includes:
- Quarterly / Bi-Annual / Annual site visits.
- Removal of all rubbish, debris and leaves from roof areas and gutters.
- Inspect all rainwater outlets, replace leaf guards.
- In light of Climate change, it is more important than ever to ensure all gutters and rainwater pipes are free-flowing especially on older buildings where they were designed for rainfall rates which are less than current standards, we are happy to check the design of existing rainwater systems and introduce additional weir overflows or pipes where necessary.
Get In Touch Today…
If this blog has been insightful for you today, and you would like to speak to a member of our team about an area of concern with your roof or you would like to join our Maintenance Checks and Refurbishment Plan, then don’t hesitate to get in touch today! Give us a call on 0191 410 7535 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.